Peroxide - Versatile for Health and Laundry
I want to share what I learned from a doctor's wife, Becky Ransey of Indiana, about the benefits of using peroxide instead of the bleach I was using for cleaning.
Editors' Note: This tip has been circulated on the internet for years. We checked it out with TruthOrFiction.com and it is mostly true, with several of the applications listed as unproven. As with any frugal tip, do your own research and proceed with caution. Damaging your health is not worth trying to save 50 cents. Read more here
My husband has been in the medical field for over 36 years, and most doctors don't tell you about peroxide. Have you ever smelled bleach in a doctor's office? NO!!! Why? Because it smells, and it is not healthy! Ask the nurses who work in the doctor's offices, and ask them if they use bleach at home. They are wiser and know better! Did you also know bleach was invented in the late 40's? It's chlorine, folks! And it was used to kill our troops. Peroxide was invented during WWI in the 20's. It was used to save and help cleanse the needs of our troops and hospitals. Tips for using peroxide:
1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. (I do it when I bathe.) No more canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash. Truth, but with limited use.
2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide to keep them free of germs.
3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on the counters. Truth
4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria. Truth
5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them (especially the toes) every night and let dry.
6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five to ten minutes several times a day. My husband has seen gangrene that would not heal with any medicine but was healed by soaking in peroxide.
7. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect without harming your septic system like bleach or most other disinfectants will.
8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your 50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold or plugged sinus. It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.
9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.
10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after a shower and comb it through. You will not have the peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages but more natural highlights if your hair is a light brown, reddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens gradually, so it's not a drastic change. Truth
11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help get rid of boils, fungus, or other skin infections.
12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.
13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is no smearing, which is why I love it so much for this.
14. Another place it's great is in the bathroom, if someone has been careless & has peed on the floor around the toilet & it's begun to smell of urine. Just put some peroxide in a spray bottle & spray. In the blink of any eye all the smell will be gone & the bacteria eliminated!
I could go on and on. It is a little brown bottle no home should be without! With prices of most necessities rising, I'm glad there's a way to save tons of money in such a simple, healthy
manner! This information really woke me up. I hope you gain something from it, too.
Sue Cozens adds: I have used Peroxide in my laundry for several years and it works very well, however, I put it in with colored clothes also...just not as much. Should you really want clean clothes and to get rid of stains also, spray with a pre-conditioner for stains first, then wash with laundry detergent, Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (in a large reclosable bag), Oxyclean, and lastly Peroxide.
Start washer to put water in the tank, put in all ingredients, let agitate for approximately 5-6 minutes then fill the remaining water in the tub (I wash in cold water... yes, even for whites), and add clothes
AFTER the mixture has had a chance to dissolve, as you do not want to pour Peroxide or Oxyclean directly onto the clothes, then wash as usual.
Should you want to really get more bang for your bucks: AFTER you have run the WASH CYCLE ONLY, start the procedure over again BEFORE the rinse cycle, etc., let the load soak for one (1) hour, then run it through as usual. This addition is mostly for those who have babies/small children.